Lucy is a PC program developed to allow users to visualize and interact with data collected by the icListen Smart Hydrophone. Lucy displays real-time waterfall and time-series data. Lucy’s waterfall display allows users make accurate measurements from recorded and/or live data.
Lucy provides real time SEL/SPL measurements for regulatory compliance, users can simultaneously record data for simplified post processing and report writing. Use thePAMGuard plug in for Lucy to make marine mammal monitoring a breeze, even when using multiple hydrophones!
Benefits of the Lucy Software:
- Connects to all icListen Smart Hydrophone products and reconfigures the display to match the instruments features.
- You can control the data collection options on your icListen Smart Hydrophone
- Gather real-time acoustic data from icListen and view in a waterfall display.
- View waveform and waterfall at the same time.
- The colour waterfall display is flexible, making it easy to detect even small changes in measured sound, and make absolute measurements.
- View data more clearly by filtering data using Lucy’s noise cancelling tool.
- Examine data libraries using Replay tools. Users on-shore can view data using the same software. Let them change the noise cancellation properties, or, import data into a spreadsheet.
- Ocean Noise Measurement
- Underwater Machine Monitoring
- Oceanographic and Scientific Studies
- Pipeline Leak Detection
- Pile Driving
- Marine Mammal Monitoring
- Marine Renewable Energy
- Environmental Monitoring
Latest Version of Lucy is 4.1.1
NEW 4.1.1 Features:
- FTP data retrieval/Unit updates.
- RMS/pk-pk graph added for waveform data.
- Accelerometer/Magnetometer data handling/interface.
- icListen Trigger status display.
- Sync status interface.
- Density reference units.
- Multiple efficiency improvements and bug fixes.
Modes of Operation:
1. Real Time
- Visualize acoustic data as it is collected
- Display waterfall, time-series of FFT data
- Store unmodified calibrated data
2. Noise Cancelation
- See through the noise by modelling it, then remove the noise from the display
- Original data remains unchanged whether or not filtering is enabled
3. Replay Mode
- Visualize previously collected acoustic data
- Display FFT, waterfall and waveform data
- Use Lucy’s Epoch feature to detect events
- Let Lucy run unattended when processing multiple files
“I have used many different hydrophones on different systems, but these icListen hydrophones are the best I’ve seen in many years. They’re calibrated to very low frequencies where I’ve never been able to get reliable data.”
Ross Chapman Professor Emeritus University of Victoria
“We have been working with Ocean Sonics in our technology demonstration program since the first prototypes. Our science users have been very impressed with the very high quality data sets. Ocean Networks Canada is expanding our hydrophone network with Ocean Sonic icListen HF smart hydrophones across our observatory including new sites across coastal BC, as part of the Smart Oceans™ program. The compact size, Ethernet interface, high reliability and exceptional performance make these systems ideal for ocean observing applications such as mammal classification, vessel and ambient noise studies.”Scott McLean Director(Former) Ocean Networks Canada
The Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) Regional Scaled Nodes (RSN) had requirements for very broadband hydrophones with good noise floor characteristics and a wide dynamic range. The icListen HF hydrophones satisfied these requirements at a reasonable cost. The hydrophones were quite easy to use out of the box, and easily passed our intensive First Article tests centered on assuring any instrument will not interfere with or corrode any other instrument. Customer support has been quite good, with very detailed questions answered quickly and accurately.
Skip Denny Principal Ocean Engineer, RSN Applied Physics Lab, University of Washington.
“Ocean Networks Canada performed a wide range of tests on the hydrophones prior to deployment to verify the manufacturer’s specifications. The hydrophone instruments met all the manufacturer’s specifications and were easy to use. Both models satisfy our requirements for dynamic range, sensitivity and, most importantly, reliability. When coupled with the fast and friendly customer support we have received, these LF and HF hydrophones are a good choice for our ocean observatory.”Tom Dakin Sensor and Technology Business Development Officer and Resident Ocean Acoustician Ocean Networks Canada